Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

No government quota seats in private colleges for MBBS and BDS

5/31/2016

BENGALURU: Here is a bad news for students, 12 private medical colleges and 24 dental colleges which come under the umbrella of COMEDK will not share its MBBS and BDS seats for government quota from this year. The Karnataka Professional Colleges Foundation (KPCF) announced this decision on Thursday. This means the common entrance test conducted by Karnataka Examination Authority will be valid only to fill the seats in 15 government medical colleges.
 
MR Jayaram, secretary of KPCF told reporters that this year NEET will be conducted to fill the MBBS and BDS seats in private colleges and all these developments (SC's direction of conducting NEET and NEET ordinance) have taken place after the consensual agreement was signed between KPCF and the state government to share the seats. "But now since NEET is conducted for private colleges this consensual agreement is invalid," he said.
 
He said as per the Supreme Court directions 15% seats will be reserved for NRI students. Of the remaining 85% seats, not even a single seat will be shared as government quota in the private colleges. 
 
Recently, the union health minister JP Nadda, after the NEET ordinance was passed has stated that the government quota seats will remain the same in private colleges. But KPCF pointed out that in the ordinance it is mentioned that there will be government quota, but no where it is mentioned that what is government quota and about the percentage of seats to be reserved for government quota.
 
But the good news is, of the 85% seats (excluding NRI quota), 50% of the seats will be reserved for SC, ST and OBC categories. This means it would be easy for students belonging to this category to get medical and dental seats in private colleges. There are around 1,500 medical and 1,600 dental seats in private colleges.
 
AS Srikanth, chief executive of COMEDK said COMEDK will do the counselling for MBBS and BDS seats in private colleges after the NEET results are out and an oversee committee formed by the state government will monitor it, this will ensure more transparency. "We will follow the fee structure fixed by the Fee Fixation Committee, which is also formed by the government." The committee has already submitted the report to the government.
 
The counselling dates will be announced after the COMEDK results will be announced.
 
Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/

Related Comments Post New Comment

Start MockTest

Start test by submitting your details

ScoreBoard

  May 2017 - June 2017
Only Registered and Verify students get List here.

Physics Top Rankers
(180)
Muthu (Chennai) 26
Abhisanka Hazra (Kolkata) 8
Mukesh Gupta (New Delhi) 6
Chemistry Top Rankers
(180)
Karan Jadhav (Hyderabad) 40
Himanshu Saini (Hisar) 20
Mohit Jaiswal (Varanasi) 13
Biology Top Rankers
(360)
Pranav Menon (Kottayam) 270
Kalpana Jakhar (Jodhpur) 220
Sourankur Chakrabarti (Kolkata) 190
Sonia Saini (Chandigarh) 167
chintakunta safiya khanam (Kadapa) 160
Physics Top Rankers
(240)
Ruth Rachel Roy (Thiruvananthapuram) 152
Shashi Raj (Patna) 136
Shreeya biradar (Hyderabad) 116
Aaditya Kumar (Ranchi) 100
Ruchira Joshi (Dombivli) 84
Chemistry Top Rankers
(240)
Riya Tanwar (Faridabad) 100
Urvashi Gawande (Nagpur) 92
Karan Jadhav (Hyderabad) 92
Geeta Kumari (Lucknow) 84
Rajat Choudhary (New Delhi) 64
Biology Top Rankers
(240)
Chittiboyana Sravanthi (Bangalore) 212
Ria r (Kottayam) 192
Krishnaveni.v (Trivandrum) 164
Dheeraj Minocha (Faridabad) 160
Manvi Kalra (Hisar) 160
Physics Top Rankers
(60)
Soumya Ranjan (Hyderabad) 40
Vishesh Bhatt (Haldwani) 31
Kunal Hibare (other) 25
Muskan Soni (Vasco da Gama) 22
Naveena (Villupuram) 20
Chemistry Top Rankers
(60)
Kunal Sangurmath (Mangalore) 53
Soumya Ranjan (Hyderabad) 39
Manu M (Kozhikode) 30
Vishesh Bhatt (Haldwani) 29
Karan Jadhav (Hyderabad) 28
Biology Top Rankers
(60)
Trasha Varshney (other) 56
Soumya Ranjan (Hyderabad) 51
Debasmita Nandi (Kolkata) 49
Smritee Rajiv (Ranchi) 47
Lakshmi Maruthi (Kadapa) 47
General Knowledge Top Rankers
(20)
Smritee Rajiv (Ranchi) 20
Soumya Ranjan (Hyderabad) 15
Trasha Varshney (other) 15
Lakshmi Maruthi (Kadapa) 15
Kamna Patel (Sidhi) 15
Sample Paper Top Rankers
(120)
Rohit Sagar (New Delhi) 71